The Andrew oak is one of the most distinctively shaped trees in the 200-plus year-old alley of oaks at Oak Alley Plantation. It is the #6 tree in the east row counting from the plantation home’s front porch. Its trunk has several large burls that create odd profiles when viewed from different angles. Its girth is approximately 28’ 5”.
The oak is named after Andrew Stewart, who with his wife Josephine were the last individuals to own the plantation and who undertook its adaptive restoration in 1925. Before Josephine’s death, 26 years after Andrew, Mrs. Stewart established the Oak Alley Foundation to preserve and protect the plantation home and its alley of historic oaks. The Foundation still manages the care of the alley, the plantation home and the property on which they’re located. Zeb Mayhew, grandnephew of the Stewarts, is administrative director of Oak Alley and owner of the Oak Alley Restaurant, gift shop and overnight B&B cottages.
The plantation, located 3-4 miles upriver from Vacherie, Louisiana, was for many years thought to have been originally named Bon Sejour by Celina, Jacques Roman’s wife. But more recent archival evidence has show this is inaccurate. The property was originally called “Section 7” by Valcour Aime, and was later called simply the Roman plantation. Roman built his plantation home on land he purchased from his brother-in-law and neighbor, Valcour Aime, who at the time was one of the wealthiest men in the South.
The trees at Oak Alley are probably the most photographed group of oaks in the world.