The E.D. White Historic Site is located close to the northern end of Lafourche Parish and is the furthest marker on the driving tour of historic Lafourche Parish live oaks. There are eight oaks on the grounds that are registered with the Live Oak Society. The oldest, the E.D. White Oak is more than 25 feet in girth. The tour materials claim that the old oak is more than 400 years of age.
The historic Creole-style raised cottage was built around 1790 by Edward Douglas White Sr., Judge of Lafourche Interior Territory and the seventh governor of Louisiana. The home is also where his son, Edward Douglass White, Jr. (who added another “s” to his middle name), Louisiana’s most famous jurist lived. E.D. White, Jr. served on the Louisiana Supreme Court, as a member of the U.S. Senate, and as a justice of the U.S. Supreme Court for nearly three decades, 11 of those years as chief justice.
For many years the home was owned by the Thibodaux chapter of the Knights of Columbus, but in 1923 it was donated to the Louisiana State Parks and Recreation Commission. Today, the historic home and grounds are part of the Louisiana State Museum system, is on the National Register of Historic Places, and has been designated a National Historic Landmark. The house and grounds are open for free tours Tuesdays through Saturdays, 10 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., and closed Sundays, Mondays, and state holidays.